Saturday, May 20, 2017

Sweet Salvage ~ Sweet Retreats ~ And Severed Deer Noses



Usually I attend the Event solo now since my usual schedule is so... unusual.  I don't expect any Friends to be able to accommodate the schedule of mi vida loca, so it's rare that I get to meet up with any one of them during my Girl's Day Out and do anything special together for any length of time.  




 But since I didn't have to fly off hastily on Thursday to retrieve a Grandchild from School, I was able to meet up with my Friend Pamela for Lunch.   We hadn't been able to do that in a very long time so there was much catching up to do, much rambling conversation of topics that to us, as Friends, are completely Normal... but to the casual bystander... well... not so much!  *LOL*




  So our Young Waiter rolls up on us right as I'm saying, "So, I bought this Taxidermy Deer Nose..." and he couldn't keep it together, he bursts into laughter and profusely apologizes.  Clearly he's rolled up on a lot of conversations, but this one caught him completely off guard and he had to hear the back story of, it intrigued him. 




 We forget that these aren't Normal conversations for most people... but for me, well, my Friends are more shocked that I actually sent them a Text Message or finally upgraded and bought a Printer than the fact I've got a severed Deer Nose in my Truck in a plastic bag!  Because for ME that IS the Norm and doesn't shock them one iota or even raise an Eyebrow!  *LMAO*  




 The back story goes something like this, my Friend Shelly had a decrepit Deer Mount with repairs on it's ears that consisted of Beaded Vintage Fabrics, I was in Love. {Original Chance Encounter Meeting above, circa 2016.}  But I was also broke at the time so said Deer made the Trip to the Round Top Texas Show with her and it's nose fell off in transit!  *Oh Deer!*




  I still wanted it, poor now forsaken un-adoptable thing... and decided I could give it a Nose Job... so we worked something out, but she wasn't sure she still had the severed Nose.   I ordered one online, Yes, you can do that and the shipping will cost more than the Nose... but in the interim she found the original severed Nose and presented it in a plastic bag when I came into the Shop this day.  Thus I had a good Story and a severed Deer Nose in the Truck as we sat down to have Lunch.  Because that's how my Life Rolls... unusual... random... okay, Weird!




And besides, who can resist irresistible Funky repairs like this when you're a Fabric Artist and general Weirdo as to what Aesthetic you gravitate to?   Regardless of the condition of the rest of the Mount, it's an Artistic Challenge now to Restore it using more Vintage Fabrics and E-6000!  *LOL*  Post surgical cosmetically Creative repairs will be forthcoming in Future Posts.




So anyway, our Adorable Waiter hovers around our booth more attentive than usual, because I'm quite certain now he doesn't want to miss anything of our quirky conversation!?  *Bwahahahahaha!!!*  It helps that the Waiter Station is right behind our Booth, Ideal for eavesdropping... the Waiter Station was very busy and animated, even tho' the Restaurant clearly wasn't this day.  *Winks*  I don't mind, Hell, this is gonna be a Story he's certain to re-tell, right, coz you can't make shit like this up?!  *Ha ha ha*




So... there's these two seemingly Normal Ladies sitting in a Booth at The Spaghetti Factory... talking about severed animal parts as if it's completely Normal... and one has them in her Truck in a plastic bag in our parking lot!!!  *LMAO*   My Friend and I mused about what if I got pulled over on the ride Home and the Officer says, Lady, what's in the bag?  *Bwahahahahaha!!!*  I've had Weirder things in my vehicle... or Hell, even in my Purse, I ain't gonna lie!  And it barely ever occurs to me... this isn't actually 'Normal' thru the Filters of most of Society! 




But as a full time Caregiver, my Life isn't deemed Normal by most standards and so the Abnormal and Normal kinda become entirely subjective and blurred to me actually.   What is perfectly Normal to me in daily Life is entirely foreign to most people and I cannot often relate to their Normalcy of Life.   The Milestones their Children had, most of the ones I've raised rarely, if ever, had due to the Nature of their Disabilities.  The Milestone Years and Friends talking about it were sometimes Painful for me actually, since ours would be quite different or non-existent.




And even if you have some healthy Children and Grandchildren, the Grief never actually goes away for the Milestones the Disabled ones probably won't have and get to Enjoy like everyone else takes for Granted.   The same goes with Disabled Spouses missing out on what Couples get to do together when both are healthy.  There is a Grieving Process that occurs for what has been Lost and will never be, you have to Mourn it to move past it and get on with Life as YOU know it... different... abnormally 'Normal' for you.




Does this then skew what you gravitate to... do you then see the Abnormal as somehow Normal to you?  I'm not sure, but I think it could and then you don't think about it very much as you just keep moving on with your version of Normalcy.   And it doesn't hit you... or even your Friends that have known you a very long time... until some random person brings it Home and to your attention that this isn't Usual... Typical... and is even a bit Shocking... somewhere in the Twilight Zone actually!  *Bwahahahahahaha!!!*




But I must say it does make Life more Interesting to say the least... this absence of Normal!  *Winks*  And a bit hilarious in the re-telling of it actually, this is the stuff Comedy Routines are often born of... the absurdities that can be Life.   So as I mingle with the crowds at the Event, most of whom probably don't have severed Animal parts in plastic bags in their vehicles... I can blend in... be perceived... almost... as having this Normal Life!  Well, until a conversation is initiated that is... *Winks*




And I Confess that sometimes, Yes, I do muse as to what it would be like to live this Life of Normalcy most people seem to have?   How would I go about my daily existence if things were absolutely Normal and Typical at Home?  How would it Feel and more importantly, how would that have shaped me differently I Wonder? 




 Would I be more inclined, like many living a Life of Normalcy seem to, to sweat the Small Stuff and Freak Out about trifles, things that barely matter, because they would then be Big Deals to me?   Because when you Live the Extreme Life of Extreme Parenting and Full Time Caregiving your Crisis are typically wheels off the rails Epic In-Your-Face Big Deals.




Instead of such 'Worries' as whether you Child will be Accepted into a particular College your 'Worries' are more in line with will my Child be Accepted anywhere in Society whatsoever!!?!??!   Will they even receive the most basic Education they are by Law entitled to within their abilities to receive it?  To ensure they have a still unlevel playing field to compete with the healthy folks for employment, housing, medical Care and the very basics of Independent Living and mere Survival!?




Will my Spouse Survive long enough for us to grow Older together... and will I outlive them so that I won't have to die worrying about who will take Care of them in my Absence?  A Catch 22 dilemma to be sure... and ones I don't think about at all when I'm having my Respite Days.  Or fixate upon hardly at all ANY day actually, because it would leave me paralyzed with a myriad of worry and concerns that I don't have a lot of Control over anyway.  So why think about and worry about what is out of my hands?




I would rather just Blissfully take it one day at a time when I can... and focus upon what is Uplifting and Inspiring to me, putting all worries aside and banishing them from my Thoughts.   Whatever you Think upon tends to expand and as it grows it dominates, so therefore I'd rather Think upon what is Positive than what is Negative.  I'd rather fixated upon turn of the Century Ephemera from a County Jail Audit that I can snag for a buck or two and has Divine penmanship!  *Smiles*




I would rather my Mind wander and allow my Magpie's Eye to as well, to see the Beauty of Life where ever and as it just unfolds before me.   Being Mindful and Present in just this Moment, which I can handle a single Moment in Time pretty well.  And revel in whatever Normalcy I can glean out of it on those rare days where I can just Be Present in Divine Moments I do Control and have Options over.




And Laugh about the absurd stuff of Life, of the Abnormalcy of mi vida loca when I'm Sharing it with others.  I can usually Laugh AFTERWARDS... if not in the actual Moments of Real Time as it rolls out.   And the Laughter rather than the Tears of it all is my conscious Choice.  Because tho' we may not be able to change many things and we certainly cannot change People, we can in fact change our reaction to it ALL... and our perspective of it.




Embracing what IS instead of continuously lamenting over what IS NOT is something I do sometimes struggle with and wrestle with daily.  Only because Normalcy of Life plays out all around me and reminds me of what we're missing out on... what could be... and is not... and it isolates all the more at times.  One wants to be inclusive and a participant of the Life Process with those around you... but if yours is a different Reality, that can be a particular Challenge.




I'm typically up to a Challenge... but the Reality is, that sometimes it's easier to Restore a ravaged decrepit Deer Mount than it is to Restore Normalcy to an Abnormal Life situation for which there are no Cures, no Miracles Manifesting all of the time... but we still wait on them for the Sublime times they DO happen.  I've been Fortunate indeed to be a Recipient of True Miracles when they come... and it solidifies Hope and Faith that even the impossible is sometimes possible.




But being the Impatient Being that I am then I'd rather Amuse myself with an Event now and again than to sit around waiting on Miracles to Manifest or Cures to be developed.   It makes more sense to me not to Waste Valuable Time waiting upon something that might... or might not... ever actually happen in this Lifetime.   And seeking that Sweet Spot in Life where everything seems to be as it should be... just for Now... and I'll take that...



*******

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

2 comments:

  1. You know Dawn....after reading this post I must share this with you. I used to think I was the only on the planet with a "screwed up" family...i.e...no sense of being normal. But the older I get and the more folks I talk to...I realize that almost everyone has smoked of "screwed up mess" in their own family. Now...I feel so very normal....just like everyone else.

    Just sayin'.

    xo

    Jo



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right, we never really know what folks are dealing with in their private lives and perhaps 'normal' is relative... Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl